Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The one where I'm stunned

Most of my friends know that David has lost his job. Last Thursday started like any other. I went to the gym, had a great workout, came home and did some weeding, noticed my neighbor hadn't left for work so I went over to see if she was okay. In the midst of our 40 minute conversation, there is a knock at her door. She is in her nightgown, her husband is sitting in the family room and tells me to answer the door. (I know, I thought that was weird, too!) But as I walk to the door, I see it's David.

Me:"What's wrong? Why are you home?

David: "I have a box full of my stuff in the car?"

me: "ooookkkkkaayyy? What does that mean?"

David: "I just got laid off"

Me: "Are you serious?" {HUGS} "Jennifer, I'm going home to cry now"

David and I walk home in stunned silence. Both of us wondering what the future holds. 3 people were laid off with him. In an office that used to have 80 people, they are now down to 24. I am a little surprised because he just had his review the week before and said they wished they could give him a 10% raise.

Thing is, I do feel spiritually prepared for this challenge. That night during my studies, I felt at peace. I've handed this over to the Lord, because there is no way whining, complaining or crying would get anything accomplished. This obviously isn't the ideal situation. I canceled everything we possible could i.e. Netflix, trash pick-up, karate, ancestry.com etc.

Here's the kicker. There is a reason I don't pray for certain things. Things like Patience and humility for example. But, I do like to take on spiritual challenges issued from the pulpit. It wasn't exactly a challenge, per se, but the speaker last week said, "The way to grow from a principle is to do it." Well, I took that to heart and that Wednesday night, I prayed to know of the power of fasting and to gain a stronger testimony of it. Well, the next day, David was laid off. Coincidence? I think not. David's comment (while smiling, of course.) "I thought you learned better than to pray for things like that!"

I understand this is happening to a lot of people right now. I know we did the best we could to prepare for this. But my mind is constantly going back to Proverbs 3: 5-6.

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

We don't know what the future holds for our family. But I do know I can control my reaction to it. David is sitting next to me looking for jobs. He will be finishing up his MBA in a couple of months and ironically was working on his resume the night before he was let go. So, here's to the future and relying on the Lord!

Who knows, we may end up in a city near you!

3 comments:

Erin said...

ORRRRRRRR, you might end up staying here!! (my selfish vote). Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!

Corinne said...

OH my WORD, friend. I do NOT like that story but I DO like your faith and chin-up attitude. I'll be watching to see what happens and I'll be praying for you :)

Erin Marriott said...

Oh Rebecca. I am so sorry to hear this news. You have such an amazing attitude and incredible faith and testimony. I've always admired those things about you. You are just an amazing person. The crazy thing is, is it's been honestly months since I've checked your blog, and today I just felt like I needed to. I will definitely keep you and your family in my prayers. I'm going to bring you dinner this next week. (I'll call you) Wish I could give you a big hug right now!! Please let me know if you need anything.