Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Long Time, No See

Yes, I know it's been two months, my friends. I have been so busy and so involved in other projects that I haven't really thought much about blogging. I know it has to be done because I have 4 birthdays, Rylee's baptism, my brothers wedding, and a 9 day vacation. Plus, let's not forget how many ingredient challenges I've missed writing about. Speaking on which, it was the ingredients that have led me back here tonight. I'll start small and finish up with the big stuff later on. Evan starts school on Friday, so supposedly I should have "more time".

Ingredient: Pesto

I have wanted to make it for quite some time. But, being as cheap (aka frugal) as I am, I can't bring myself to spend $9.99 on a 5 oz. bag of pine nuts. So, I found ready made pesto marked down at the store a couple of days ago and used it that night. I made Penne with Chicken and Pesto. It was nothing to write about. It did not have a lot of flavor. I added way more pesto than call for and still couldn't taste it. So, I added 1cup of water with 2 bouillon cubes, thickened with cornstarch to the dish and it tasted so much better. I won't make this again, but I am very excited to still have pesto to use with something else.


Ingredient: Dry Black Beans

I am burnt out on pasta so I wanted to make beans. I thought I had lentils but I couldn't find them. So, I went into the #10 Can food storage and pulled out my black beans. I made Feijoada. Would you believe I had all the ingredients on hand, including a Ham Hock! And I do declare Ethan, the hater of all things beans says, " Mom, this is really good." So, there you have it. Nothing more need be said.

No comments: