Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Where it all began . . .


25 years ago, my friend Alyssa and I would sit together during Sacrament with feigned promises of listening intently to the talks. We ended up writing Mad Libs and laughing so much it hurt. Alyssa would write the Mad Libs and I would fill in the needed words and secretly wish I could write like her. But, for me, since I couldn't write, I began to read. I read because it made me laugh, it kept me interested in different subjects and it kept me busy.

From those Sunday morning Mad Lib sessions, my passion for books was intensified by the amazing "choose you own adventure" series. I would sit outside in my backyard, on top of the monkey bars and read for hours. Since this was the "dark ages" where we didn't have a color tv, VCR, cable, or computer, and my friends in the neighborhood were always busy, I found reading to be the best way to spend my free time. Through my teenage years, I dedicated less of my time to reading and focused more on spending time with my friends, seminary, poms, softball, work, etc. I still read, but usually just the assigned novels from school.

Since becoming a mother 10 years ago, I have loved picking up a book and escaping my chaos and dropping into other characters lives. The time I've dedicated to reading has certainly had an ebb and flow, but reading has been a constant in my life. But I have to say, I do secretly wish there were adult versions of choose your own adventure. But until that day comes, I will happily pick up this classic novel and once again become a spectator in another persons life.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Beautifully said, my friend! I loved the "choose your own adventure" books, too! And I LOVE talking with you about all the books we read!

lys said...

You crack me up! I totally remember doing that, but I certainly don't remember being a good writer. I'm positive that I wasn't any better than you!