Monday, April 26, 2010

Undeserved Accolades


Our stake had their day of service this past weekend. It was a 5K family fun run in order to raise food/ donations for our local food bank. Our entire family participated, but with great trepidation and complaints by our kids on the length of the run. After reading the registration, I saw that we could use bikes and scooters. That was all needed to convince my kids they could indeed tolerate the 3.6 miles. During the race I received many a comments from friends looking at me on "my" scooter as I accompanied Evan around the course. BUT, to my utter embarrassment and dismay, I was awarded 3rd place in my age range for finishing the course in 27: 15 minutes. I did not accept the gift certificate that went along with the ribbon because I WAS ON A SCOOTER THE ENTIRE TIME!!! I feel badly for my friends and others in the stake who ran/ walked the entire way. To all of you, please know that I admire your ability to run that far and furthermore know that you deserved this award and not me. For a brief time, I considered training for next years run to redeem myself, but alas, it was a fleeting thought.





2 comments:

Aaron and Katrina said...

I'm so impressed! I want my family to be able to do that - even if it is on wheels! :)

Erin said...

I heard you placed, but now I know the R.E.A.L. story....

:-)